Thursday, September 23, 2010

Goodbye Training Wheels!


"OOPS! Crash 1"

Up we go...lets attempt again.

He is doing it!

and....he is off!

There are many milestones that a child reaches, however, no milestone has been as emotionally touching as the one I experienced the other day! Michael, doesn't have a lot of confidence in himself and gets frustrated very easily if he can't "get/do" something right away. The other day Michael had a major confidence booster!

Monday, Michael came home from the babysitters disappointed that he couldn't ride his bike without his training wheels. He has tried to ride a bike without training wheels, however, gave up the second he fell. I told him that we would give it a try, and warned him that he may fall a couple times, but that I would run along side of him.

Riding bikes in New Hampshire, isn't easy. The road we live on is dirt and we are surrounded by hills. This doesn't stop a little boy though. On Tuesday, September 21, 2010, Michael, was determined to conquer this goal! We headed up the driveway and began our journey together. Michael was able to ride his bike straight without any problems, however, once he had to turn....he would........FALL!!! He fell a hand full of times, until he got it. Running down the road for the 10th time in 15 minutes, I finally gave up, and totally let go! This was Michael's reaction when he learned he was on his own:

"OH MY GOD! I AM DOING IT! I AM DOING IT!"

He had the hugest grin and smile on his face and had to call everyone to brag about this milestone. The moment was tearful! I was overwhelmed by emotion.

His conversation with Ahma was:

"Hi Ahma, you need to come over her quick...I have something to show you."

His conversation with Pat (our neighbor),
"Hi Pat, call me when you get home...I have something to tell you!"

His conversation with Nan,
"Hi Nan, I am a big boy...I don't need training wheels anymore...I can ride my bike ALL BY MYSELF!"

This was the first time I have ever seen Michael as excited and proud of himself! I am so PROUD of my little man! Good bye training wheels....and hello to many scratches and boo-boos!

1 comment: