Thursday, June 17, 2010

My Little Fish....


A year ago, we were struggling to get Michael in the water. He was so scared and hated the water. We tried the beach, we tried a kiddie pool, we tried the tub, and we tried Ahpe and Ahma's pool...but all he would do was cry and avoid it. I was stressed and overwhelmed. Swimming is a life skill and he had to learn to swim and hopefully love the water. I remember thinking to myself, what am I going to do about this? Then the solution came...a child's biggest nightmare.......MR. SWITZER!!!

What an experience not only for Michael but for mommy as well! Not only was he screaming and glued to my leg, but he was taken away from me, hollering "mommy" and thrown into a pool of freezing cold water! IT has been one of the worst experiences for me as a mother.

I sat on the side with my sunglasses on while tears ran down my face...I felt horrible. I wasn't sure we were going to make it through the two weeks. My stomach was in a knot and I was stressed. We would drive to swimming lessons and he would cry the entire way! One time he told me to pull over...I asked him why and he said because, your car is broken! It was a constant battle with a positive ending. Not only did he leave there able to swim, but he got his beginner 1 card.

Today, a year later...Michael is my little fish! He LOVES the water! Now the problem is trying to keep him out of the water and once in the water getting him out of the water to take a break.

This past week has been horrible weather wise. Today the high is 70 but it is 68 according to my car and looks like it is going to rain or storm. Ahpe and Ahma's pool is 65 degrees! Do you think this would stop him? NO!!! Michael was determined to go into the pool while I stood on the side in my long pants and sweatshirt praying I wouldn't have to rescue him!

Michael's favorite part of the day was discovering that he could touch!

1 comment:

  1. OMG the image of switzer's made ME NERVOUS! Did you see the pics of Mel's little baby floating? Crazy. But i guess in florida you have to learn to swim EARLY.

    ReplyDelete