Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Stress!

I can't remember a time that I didn't cry when I was stressed out or upset about something. As I have gotten older and my hormones have changed post children, crying occurs more often. I cry watching Oprah, I cry when I see a said story, I cry when I worry, I cry when my kids are sick. Crying should have been my middle name. Since I have started this DPT program, I am a basket case. Before every test I always ask Mike "do you think I will be ok?" To which, lately he replies, "no Jenn, I don't", hoping of course he is being sarcastic. Every morning before every test I feel the need to get up at the crack of dawn, which on okay nights leaves me with 5 hours a sleep, however, there are those nights the kids have bad dreams, or I toss or turn, or like last night I don't feel well and have tons of fluid in my ear.
Today, my day started with 4 1/2 hours of sleep, waking up to attempt to study for a bit. During my studying I decided to check the news to find that EVERY school is delayed or closed due to ice accumulation during the night, but of course Franklin Pierce University was not! This meant it was going to be an awful commute, one that normally takes 45-50 minutes on a good day. So, instead of studying too much, I chatted with a girl from school on Facebook (obviously that is a priority) and ran around like a luna bin trying to find my blood pressure cuff, my goniometer, my tape measure, and my reflex hammer, all of which are of course toys to two curious kids that claim they want to be doctors.
So, I head off to school, in the truck, driving like a Nanny, and worrying. I got half way there stopped to get a soda so I could take my anxiety medicine before this dreaded test and continued my journey. When I got to Concord, an hour and a half later, I of course had a nervous poop. Instead of going at school, I went to Target. Rushing back to school, I parked the truck, grabbed my backpack that literally weighed 50 pounds, only to step on the ground and have my feet fall out from beneath me, leaving me hitting my head on the truck, falling on a FOOSH, cutting my hand, and continuing to bump my head on the ice. I of course had to act strong and laugh it off because people were in the parking lot, but deep down inside I wanted to CRY!!! I ran in the building with 5 minutes to spare, cleaned my hand wound, put my bags down, only to notice my cut was still bleeding pretty badly, and lord knows my patient wouldn't want bloody hands on him. IT was bad enough he had a snotty nosed, herpes bump on lip, and congested therapist in the first place. Needless to say, I ran around trying to find bandaids. As soon as I was done cleaning up I got called in to "the holding cell" to read my case.
Thankfully it was a shoulder! Yeah, one thing right. I had a pretty good guess at what I thought the diagnosis was. I got called in brought all my papers to which we got told we were allowed to use and began my evaluation. I was on a ball. I never looked at my evaluation and was cruising until....special tests. I came up with a couple right off the bat, and then my teacher asked me what other test could you do to test this? I thought and thought about it...I could see the test in one of my charts on my evaluation but couldn't put a name to it. I asked if I could grab my eval on the table next to me and he said, "No, you have this, just problem solve, you are doing great." Of course, I instantly broke down into tears. First because he said I was doing well, and second because we were allowed to use our evaluations and he isn't letting me." After a few minutes I gained composure, passed my exam, and now I can laugh to an extent!

1 comment:

  1. OH Jenn. I remember your tears all too well. Everyone deals with stress differently! I'm glad you got through the exam and proud of you for managing it all. Good job!

    ReplyDelete